Jaunty beta - lost my nvidia drivers *** SOLVED ***

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 8 15:58:28 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 4/8/09, sdavmor <sdavmor at systemstheory.net> wrote:

> From: sdavmor <sdavmor at systemstheory.net>
> Subject: Re: Jaunty beta - lost my nvidia drivers  *** SOLVED ***
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2009, 1:31 AM
> sdavmor wrote:
> > I'm back to using the open drivers right now
> because the latest
> > update crashed the nvidia video on reboot.
> Downgrading the
> > proprietary drivers from 180 to 173 doesn't help.
> I see that this
> > xorg issue has been reported with ATI.  Has anyone
> else experienced
> >  this vith nvidia?
>
> It was embarrassingly simple and glaringly obvious once it
> dawned on
> me [light bulb time] what the real problem was. I was still
> booting
> the 2.6.27-11-generic kernel instead of 2.6.28-11-generic.
> As soon
> as I added the .28. kernel to grub letting it be the
> default choice
> everything fell into place with my video. The nvidia 180
> revision
> driver now shows as activated and the system boots
> properly. The
> nvidia X Server settings program presents me with all the
> options I
> expected to see, and I can set the display to 1920x1200.

Strange, whenever I install a new kernel using whatever front end to apt that I use, update-grub is automatically run
adding the new kernel and I only have to reboot to load it, which you did also.  Are you doing strange and mysterious things the rest of us are unaware of?  Of course, if I get an update-grub error that it failed, then I would run it manually and never have had to personally edit menu.lst to add a kernel. Please explain if you will as I'm probably misunderstanding something you said or did.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net