/home partition

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 14:03:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 07:54:20 -0500, Allen Meyers posted:

> Allen Meyers
> texas.chef94 at gmail.com
> http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/allthefolks_photos (Family Photo
> Site)
> http://linuxexperience.livejournal.com (My Linux Blog)
>

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Matthew Flaschen
> <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
>> Allen Meyers wrote:
>>
>>> have goggled a bunch on this home partition thing and I did not accept
>>> it originally on the live CD option.
>>
>> I do highly recommend a home partition.
>>
>>>Please advise and if it a re-install and accept from live CD well
>> advise as well, but I do want
>>> a functioning home partition and do what I must do to maintain it's
>>> functionality.
>>
>> Backing up and reinstalling would certainly be easiest for a new user.
>> My theory on repartitioning is that lossless repartitioning is possible
>> (http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/04/01/095755.php) but it's never
>> guaranteed. So, you have to backup first, and if you're going to backup
>> first...you might as well blow everything away.
>>
>> As far as advice, not sure exactly what you're asking.  It always helps
>> to paste in your current partition layout when asking such questions.
>>  Run:
>>
>> sudo parted /dev/sda print
>>
>> That will print your partition table.  Then, we can give more informed
>> advice.
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>>
>> --
> I appreciate that response and welcomed that command as I would have done
> that had I know. However I tried it in both regular terminal and root
> terminal
> This is response regular terminal
> allen at debian:~$ sudo parted /dev/sda print
>
> We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
> Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
>
>     #1) Respect the privacy of others.
>     #2) Think before you type.
>     #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
>
> [sudo] password for allen:
> allen is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
> allen at debian:~$
> This from root terminal with sudo and without debian:/home/allen# sudo
> parted /dev/sda print sudo: parted: command not found
> debian:/home/allen# parted/dev/sda print bash: parted/dev/sda: No such
> file or directory debian:/home/allen#
>
> Allen

Allen, I think Matthew meant for you to be booted up in Ubuntu, it looks
to me that you were booted in Debian. Ubuntu uses a special configuration
with sudo to allow a normal user to do root things, that is different than
the Debian way. It is extremely likely that you have not configured
yourself as a sudo user on Debian, in which case the command given should
be run as root (perhaps with su, or gksu, depending on what you are
comfortable with). Alternately, boot into Ubuntu so the commands people
give you will work as expected.

By the way, root on the other system received mail that you(your user) had
tried to use sudo. That's what the error message about being "reported"
was referring to.