Open source alternative to ArchiCAD for ubuntu 8.10 x64

John Toliver john.toliver at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 12:09:06 UTC 2009

This may be scratching your left ear with your right hand from behind
your head but I will throw it out there.  Install virtual box, and
windows XP (definitely not vista) inside it and run archicad aor
whatever windows programs you need and have a happy.

I didn't believe this but I ran 8.04 for a a while and virtual box to
windows XP and this configuration worked very well on an old PIII.
The reverse configuration on the same hardware was a nightmare.

You can use virtualbox for compatibility until thesse companies decide
it's profitable which may be tomorrow, or whenever.

The only issues I can think of which you might want to research are
how VB on a x64 processor might handle (I would imagine better
mostly).

Hope this helps,

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 08:10,  <madanabhat27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks !
> I deal with a lot of CAD and Building Information Modeling coz I design a lot of houses and other such buildings as I am an architect and as I would have probably told you guys in my last email I have just migrated from MS Windows Vista Business x64 and I would like to know weather or not there are any open source alternatives for my trusty ArchiCAD which are compatible with Ubuntu 8.10 x64 and if so then how much do they cost ?
> Yours ,
> KMB
> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

I've discovered the key to success is to never give up.  You either
learn the right way, or you run out of ways to do it wrong.  A win/win
situation!