changing grub

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 16:27:27 UTC 2009

[...]

[Ray Parrish]
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just wanted to address a small fine point here. When starting a GUI
>> application with root privileges, such as gedit you need to use the
>> gksu command on the start of the line, not the sudo command, which is
>> used for command line programs. so the earlier given command to edit
>> menu.lst should be -
>>
>> gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst &
>>
>> I have also added an "&" on the end of the command line, which will
>> cause gedit to fork away from the Terminal session, so that shutting
>> down the Terminal window will not also shut down your gedit session,
>> which is will do, without the & on the end of the line. If however, you
>> want any error messages generated by gedit to be printed to the
>> terminal window, leave off the &, and leave the Terminal window open
>> until you are done with gedit.
>>
>> The reason for my clarification of this point is that in my experience,
>> attempting to start a GUI program with sudo usually will not start the
>> program. You issue the command, get prompted for your password in
>> terminal, then nothing happens after that.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish

[Leonard Chatagnier]
> Very strange, to me anyway, that you said and experienced what you did
> above.  Although, I've read on the list about using gksu ipo sudo for
> gui applications, I've never had an issue using sudo nano to edit any
> type of file using Kubuntu desktop anyway. I rarely use gnome as I like
> the kubuntu eye candy better but of course in an Ubuntu install. I don't
> understand the need for the &, why would anyone stop a terminal session
> while editing from it? Even if stopped by error, it's simle to restart
> it and continue. Gnome, or the Ubuntu Desktop, may react differently
> than the Kubuntu Desktop, I really don't know. Nano is the default
> editor for Kubuntu and works well for me in an Ubuntu install. I am
> using Kensole or a tty terminal in reference to what I've said.  Just
> another persons viewpoint. Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

I think the difference "strangeness" probably stems from the different
"environment" one can be in when they start a terminal with gksu than when
one starts a program as sudo. I agree with you Leonard, that sudo nano,
along with the proper path to the file you want to edit will work as
expected. Some things appear to not work as expected, generally because
our expectations are faulty, the $PATH environment variable differences
between regular user and root user is one that often is a source of
confusion.