I'm Building a $200 Linux Desktop

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 06:14:58 UTC 2009

Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I plan on building a machine specifically for Ubuntu. ...

Mine's an X terminal.

> * $81 Intel BOXD945GCLF2 (2GHz dual core) Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini

Mine was 550 Chinese yuan, plus 116 for 2 gigs RAM, so 666 total. An
evil X term, perhaps? That's about $100 US for board & RAM; I had a
spare case.

Mine is "only" 1.6 GHz, but the two cores are hyperthreaded, so
Linux thinks there are four CPUs. Nicest part: 8 watts at idle,
50-odd peak.

At that price, I'm thinking of buying another for use as a firewall.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China