Don't buy HP computers

Justin eqisow at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 03:39:21 UTC 2009

> However, they (companies like HP, Dell, etc) can distribute "another" disc
> with the new harware with "linux drivers" in it (like windows versions);
> that
> would make a HUGE diference in support. From my point of view, is HARDWARE
> support (reads drivers, aka software) and not the technical help, that
> keeps
> linux away from the "joe-smoe in Kentucky" desktop. I can say that is
> really
> hard to make drivers for poorly or unknown hardware, and the companies
> doesn't provide nither a driver nor documentation, so driver coders has to
> be
> magicians to bring the light.

Except that Linux drivers need to be compiled for the kernel you're running
to work. It's pretty much impossible to distribute pre-compiled drivers
because of this. Instead, they should release the source and let the distro
maintainers handle it from there, which several companies (like Intel)
already do.