Don't buy HP computers

Irving Leonard irving.lp at feestudiantes.cujae.edu.cu
Wed Apr 1 02:12:29 UTC 2009

El Tuesday 31 March 2009 05:08:39 pm Dirk Freitag escribió:
> M. Fioretti wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 16:32:26 PM -0400, Dirk Freitag wrote:
> >> Personally I think that everyone who has answered this so far has
> >> missed the mark.  First, who cares if HP supports Linux or not?
> >> They have to support the hardware regardless of what OS is on the
> >> computer, because the OS has absolutely nothing to do with the
> >> physical quality or reliability of the hardware.
> >
> > That *may* be true in theory. In practice, no hardware vendor works
> > that way, because testing and/or customer assistance costs would
> > skyrocket.
> >
> >> Second, even if HP *did* have support options for Linux, they would
> >> pale in comparison to the online support communities located on
> >> message boards, user lists and IRC chat rooms.
> >
> > True but irrelevant in many important cases. Many businesses will
> > simply not buy stuff which is only supported informally by some
> > unknown folks half a planet away. Many IT policies explicitly forbid
> > doing so.
> >
> > This has nothing to do, of course, with buying or not HP products and
> > why, or with which free online support is better, Linux or Windows.
> > It's just that, to my best knowledge, none of those two statements
> > matches reality, so they shouldn't be used to come to any conclusion.
> >
> > 	Marco
> > 	Digital activism: http://mfioretti.com
>
> Just to note, my rant was based towards the regular joe-smoe in
> Kentucky.  Commercial level support is an entirely different beast.  And
> a lot of times you will find that hardware vendors such as Dell and HP
> have *EXCELLENT* Linux support for their platforms running Linux.  I am
> sorry to say that your comments are irrelevant to my rant, due to
> commercial support and residential support being two completely
> different animals.

However, they (companies like HP, Dell, etc) can distribute "another" disc
with the new harware with "linux drivers" in it (like windows versions); that
would make a HUGE diference in support. From my point of view, is HARDWARE
support (reads drivers, aka software) and not the technical help, that keeps
linux away from the "joe-smoe in Kentucky" desktop. I can say that is really
hard to make drivers for poorly or unknown hardware, and the companies
doesn't provide nither a driver nor documentation, so driver coders has to be
magicians to bring the light.