Disappearing Sound

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 30 21:51:45 UTC 2008

On 09/30/2008 02:27 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> 20080930 1502 GMT-6
>>>
>>> Ok. I have all rows upon rows of sound drivers.
>>>
>>> I went through all the commands with success.
>>>
>>> But I think that this page is for those who have NO sound. I do have
>>> sound. Actually I had sound for two straight hours while watching tv
>>> online today and then after lunch, I had no sound again.
>>
>> :-) sounds like you have parental controls enabled :-)
>>
>>> Actually, Im starting to think this whole 8.04 is too buggy for me right
>>> now. It works perfectly well on lots of peoples machines and then on
>>> others - its totally flaky. My old dell laptop - it seems to be rock
>>> solid but my newer desktop - I have so many problems its crazy.
>>>
>>> Really what I might do (if I can get the time and patience to do it) is
>>> backup all my stuff (again), download 8.04 and burn a new disk and do
>>> another new install. I just seem to have too many problems -
>>> intermittent  sound just being one.
>>
>> What is sound card/chipset do you have?
>
> 20080930 1626 GMT-6
>
> Parental controls??? :D
> Well, Im trying to watch a Korean TV show on YouTube so, Im not sure the
> controls would work anyway. :D

LOL... but come to think of it, it could be a permission issue. Can you
check your audio group to make sure that pulse audio is included:

cat /etc/group |grep audio

Should have your username and 'pulse' in the group. If it's not there
add it; just put 'pulse' after the username and a comma:

audio:29:<username>,pulse

> But, here is the chipset info:
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
> 	Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Unknown device 2009
> 	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
> 	I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
> 	I/O ports at e080 [size=64]
> 	Memory at ffa7f800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
> 	Memory at ffa7f400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
> 	Capabilities: <access denied>

May be related:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/258826

Not your chipset, but sounds similar:

Reason for asking about the audio group is I wonder if perhaps after
playing something the application permissions get reset or if using
pulse it assigns a wrong device after playing. Pretty WAG, but might be
worth checking.

BTW - my audio:
$ lspci |grep audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
(ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

and my sound works fine. I have my device set for Intel ICH5 (Alsa
mixer). And my Sound Preference (System|Preferences|Sounds):
Sound Events: Autodetect
Music and Movies: Autodetect
Audio Conferencing: Playback=Audodetect & Capture=ALAS - Advanced...
Default Mixer Tracks: Intel ICH5 (Alsa mixer)