Disappearing Sound

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 21:27:46 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/30/2008 01:15 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>
>>> Try here:
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
>>>

>> 20080930 1502 GMT-6
>>
>> Ok. I have all rows upon rows of sound drivers.
>>
>> I went through all the commands with success.
>>
>> But I think that this page is for those who have NO sound. I do have
>> sound. Actually I had sound for two straight hours while watching tv
>> online today and then after lunch, I had no sound again.
>
> :-) sounds like you have parental controls enabled :-)
>
>> Actually, Im starting to think this whole 8.04 is too buggy for me right
>> now. It works perfectly well on lots of peoples machines and then on
>> others - its totally flaky. My old dell laptop - it seems to be rock
>> solid but my newer desktop - I have so many problems its crazy.
>>
>> Really what I might do (if I can get the time and patience to do it) is
>> backup all my stuff (again), download 8.04 and burn a new disk and do
>> another new install. I just seem to have too many problems -
>> intermittent  sound just being one.
>
> What is sound card/chipset do you have?

20080930 1626 GMT-6

Parental controls??? :D
Well, Im trying to watch a Korean TV show on YouTube so, Im not sure the
controls would work anyway. :D

But, here is the chipset info:
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Unknown device 2009
	I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
	I/O ports at e080 [size=64]
	Memory at ffa7f800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
	Memory at ffa7f400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
	Capabilities: <access denied>