GUI goodness for your Mouse and Keyboard programming

Heike C. Zimmerer nospam08q2 at gmx.net
Tue Sep 30 19:52:05 UTC 2008

Gilles Gravier <gilles at gravier.org> writes:

>> Note that they mention the GPL (not the LGPL).  Such a combination is
>> clearly illegal - you would need the libs to be LGPL'ed to allow closed
>> source to be linked against them.
>>
> No. You are wrong. The fact that they link to doesn't mean that they
> have to be GPL.

It does.  Read the FSF's "GPL FAQ" where it is explicitly discussed and
compare the GPL to the LGPL which has been made specifically for these
cases (linking against proprietary code) and would be probably not
needed if this distinction weren't in effect.

It doesn't matter how the program is bundled and where the GPLed part
comes from - if you don't want to conform to the GPLs licensing terms,
there's always a simple way: don't write a program which uses GPLed
parts, e.g. by letting your program link (dynamically or statically)
against them.  After all, that's the situation you find elsewhere where
proprietary code is prevalent, so stick with it if you want to do the
same.  You can't just pick the best from both sides and disregard the
rest.

(This applies to linking against a GPLed library.  Of course, this
doesn't apply to other programs you may be running on a GNU/Linux box).

That's all I have to say, EOD from my side.

Cheers,

Heike