how to play .swf file on ubuntu, hardy

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Sep 30 16:53:40 UTC 2008

Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:

>> I agree with some of that.  However, 'help me' doesn't /begin/ to
>> cover what may or may not be the problem.  How many times have we been
>> asked 'what's wrong?' and get back 'it don't work'?
>>
>> Surely, even the n00bs should know the minimum requirements for asking
>> a question about a problem.  I mean, Derek has quite a valid point.
>> We don't KNOW what the problem is becuase we don't know /anything/
>> about his setup and what he's tried.
>>

> I agree, but at the same time, I have seen time and time again where the
> n00bs think that is kinda snobish. I do tech support for a software
> company and i have to be carefull about how my tone and the way my
> questions some accross to the customer.

I've dealt with a LOT of very intelligent people over the years.
Doctors and nurses, and now I deal with researchers (8 of which are
Nobel laureates as part of the team that worked on Al Gore's global
warming project) and I've had to deal with that very problem.

But, I do try in every case to make it clear that they need to give me
as much information as possible so I can make an accurate assessment of
the problem.  True, phrasing it so as not ti insult them is always
tough, but people are smart enough to know that 'it's broken' isn't near
enough information for us to help them.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support