Printing in Ubuntu 8.04

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Sep 28 16:59:09 UTC 2008

Rob wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Rob wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> Can anyone shed any light on why printing seems to be such rocket
>>> science with Linux?  I have been using Linux for a good number of years,
>>> beginning with much earlier versions of Red Hat, then Mandrake and
>>> finally now, Ubuntu 8.04.  I have always had problems with printing and
>>> once again with Ubuntu, I am not able to print.  I have 5 documents in
>>> queue to print but they are not printing.  Not sure what else I can add
>>> to a description of this problem other than in the Document Print Status
>>> box, my printer is correctly identified as an HP Deskjet 6940...
>>>
>>> Any clues would be welcome.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Rob
>>>

>>     How about a clue as to the computer your using and the printer type
>> and name, how the printer is attached to the computer will help.
>>
>>     As for printing I have had more trouble getting my wifes printer to
>> work in Windows. My Made in China Laser Printer works just great with
>> Ubuntu. No Problems of any sort.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> 1. IBM/Lenovo A61 Tower configured to dual boot with XP.  Printer is
> connected via USB and works in XP.  Anything else you need to know?
>
> Rob

    No. It is interesting that you have XP in the same computer and of
course the printer works fine with XP. This tells me your USB port is
working fine and there should be no reason for your printer not working
in Ubuntu.

    You have said that getting a printer to work in Linux has always
been difficult and that you go way back in Linux. This has not been my
experience since about Red Hat 6 when they started to get some drivers
for the usual printers. I have had zero trouble with printers since that
time. Because perhaps I insist on a laser printer.

    There was a time when USB coupled printers were a problem. But now,
on Ubuntu you tell it the type of connector and that gets the right
driver(s). I assume your doing that so the problem is a unusual problem.
I have no idea where to go from here. Some guys have told you the
printer you have works fine on their Ubuntu.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User