Wubi Ubuntu installer

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Sep 28 11:32:55 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
>     I was just not aware of the Wubi installer Ubuntu is mailing out to
> people. I just learned how it works. It is VERY different! I was helping
> a guy who was trying to load Ubuntu but when it said to re-boot he did
> and nothing appeared to be going on. But it seems this is NORMAL with
> Wubi. Your supposed to wait until 700 MB more is installed on your HD.
>
>     The guy I was trying to help was doing it right but not waiting for
> the second load. I hope he is now waiting and will get the SECOND
> reboot. This is a wide break from the old CD-Rom's we used to use. I
> think you need to write a panel that comes up after the first reboot
> telling the person to please wait for the second one.
>
> Karl

Wubi is certainly different to the traditional installer process.
Note that it is not intended to be a replacement for the trad method,
but is an additional option, with different benefits and drawbacks.

 From 8.04 onwards, the live CD includes the wubi facility, which will
work when the live CD is inserted into a working windows machine.
Part of the windows relationship that wubi uses is the actual windows
boot manager - to choose between windows and ubuntu when booting.

If the live CD is used as it used to be, just booting from the live
CD, then the live CD runs in ram and the user has the option of still
installing with the traditional methods.
--
ac