upgrades

Ken McLennan kenrmcl at aapt.net.au
Fri Sep 26 11:49:49 UTC 2008

G'day there Leonard,

> Mario, Thanks for the clarification.  I'll remember to use and tell about update manager and read the links.  Still wonder about use of synaptic and adept in kde for version upgrades but maybe the links will address this or some more knowledgable kde user will chime in.
> Thanks again for the clarification,

    I hardly think that I'm more knowledgeable than most people, but I
always thought that it wouldn't matter what window manager/desktop
environment you used. Synaptic and adept update whatever you have
installed. If you use Gnome then it updates Gnome packages; if you use
KDE then it updates KDE packages; if you use XFCE then it updates XFCE
packages; if you use FVWM...   (I think you can see where this is heading).

    The idea is that you update your Ubuntu installation in toto, not
portions of it on an ad-hoc basis. The "Update Manager" manages your
update and deals with whatever packages you have installed. At one time
I had Gnome and KDE installed simultaneously and had no problems with
updating. Everything was handled correctly with no problems. Of course,
it took AAAAGES to download so many packages, but I blame that on my ISP
and my poverty (can't afford a faster connection <g>).

See ya
Ken