Screen resolution loop [help!]

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 26 02:14:25 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 9/25/08, David Armour <d.f.armour at shaw.ca> wrote:

> From: David Armour <d.f.armour at shaw.ca>
> Subject: Screen resolution loop [help!]
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Thursday, September 25, 2008, 8:40 PM
> On my up-to-date Hardy machine (workhorse3), the LCD
> displays 1280 x 1024.
> Workhorse5, however, with the very same LCD(!) sets up at
> 640 x 480, and resists
> all efforts (mine, at least) to painlessly switch to higher
> resolutions. (See
> below.) A 640 x 480 resolution, admittedly, makes the
> numbers big & easy to
> read, but also unfortunately all-too-often sacrifices key
> bits (e.g.
> close/resize, scroll bars) to the nether-world off-screen.
>

> Hoping to circumvent the hundreds of usual post-release
> up-dates, and perhaps
> gain the benefits of a new(-er), improved! Ubuntu, I
> kludgely downloaded
> 'Intrepid-Alpha6' and found 304 (!) up-dates
> waiting in the wings ...
>
> Worse, once the system was supposedly 'up-to-date',
> and I had picked the
> 'recommended' Nvidia driver from the
> System>Hardware Drivers> drop-down, and
> pressed Crtl-Alt-Backspace "... to 'restart' X
> server", I got:
>       [screen goes black, with blinking cursor in top left
> corner]
> 	[requires cold re-boot]
>        restarting Ubuntu displays the loading
> 'thermometer', then a CLI screen
> with a log-in prompt too brief to complete, before
> returning to:		[screen goes
> black / requires cold re-boot]
>
> ...which is where I had come in with the Hardy install.
>
> Workhorse5 also works fine at 1280x1024 with puppy-linux,
> but for now, I'm
> mostly interested in getting out of this Ubuntu log-in
> loop. Any ideas?

It's been mentioned before on the list but have you tried booting up in recovery mode and selecting the 4th item on the screen "xfix".  This usually get rid of low resolution issues with xorg.conf. and maybe blank screens(don't know as I haven't had one). Have you tried nvidia-xconfig yet although this conflicts with nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-new drivers. You may get better help if you tell the list just what your monitor, video card and installed drivers are.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net