cant ping external website

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Sep 25 17:41:49 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:

>> Well for starters never use 127.0.x.x for /anything/ other than the
>> loopback.  That's a bad idea.
>
> isn't helpful. Particularly when Ubuntu uses 127.0.1.1 at installation
> default.

Okay, taken out of context, it probably isn't helpful.  Point taken.

> In _Ubuntu_ removing and/or misconfiguring 127.0.1.1 can cause startup
> delays and a multitude of other issues (including breaking
> update-manager, gksu, password authentication etc - search launchpad etc
> for details).

However, that fact that Ubuntu does something like that, that no other
OS (and unless I see a default Debian install do that, I'm not buying
it.) seems to do, then I think it's a misconfiguration.  In fact, at
lunch I pulled that line from my Mother's Hardy and rebooted it and it
came up just like it should.

So, obviously Ubuntu is doing something that a majority of other Linux
distros don't.  Why?  Who knows.  There's certainly no point in having a
/second/ loopback IP when the hostname can quite comfrotably sit on the
same line as 127.0.0.1 without any trouble at all.

Regardless, this wasn't the cause of his trouble, so I consider this
thread closed.  It's getting OT anyway.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support