send email from command line

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Sep 24 13:07:13 UTC 2008

mierda tuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well I don't explain to well.
>
> I have kubuntu 8,04 and I would like to send email for example to
> mierdatuti at gmail.com., because I don't know too much about how configure it,
> I 've saw that I have to configure a MTA (like postfix or sendmail) with
> relay host. My relay host is gmail. Could you say me how to configure it?
>
> Many  thanks and sorry for my english!

I hate continuing to be the one to ask to not top post.  I give up.

Why would you need gmail to be the relay?  If you have kubuntu on your
system have it use sendmail locally.  If you have an ISP, use their mail
server.  I don't understand the point of going through all this just to
send mail to gmail.

If you don't have a GUI on your system and you need to send and receive
email, good grief man, setup pine or mutt.  You get the functionality
you need from a text based mail client.  Using gmail as an SMTP relay
seems superfluous to me.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support