Virtual box USB problems

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Sep 23 17:20:52 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:

> On 09/23/2008 06:11 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> I'd suggest http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
>>> seriously... you'll find folks on the mailing list and the forums that
>>> can quickly assist.
>>
>> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
>> group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
>> community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to
>> make it boot that way.
>

> Does this not work for you?
> http://virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
> [USB on Ubuntu/Gutsy]

No.  When I first used VBox, the mountdevsubfs.sh script actually had the
correct lines commented out.  The version I have now
(initscripts=2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu45), didn't.  So you can certainly fix the
script, but it gets regressed when initscripts is updated.

> or
> http://virtualbox.org/wiki/User_HOWTOS
>   http://virtualbox.org/wiki/USB_on_Ubuntu_7.04

That's one of the udev solutions I found, which didn't work for me (changing
their group "usbusers" to "vboxusers").  I'm sure that's the right
approach, but I haven't figured out the correct rule yet (7.04 is almost 18
months ago - udev is still very much developing).

--
derek