Virtual box USB problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 23 14:42:06 UTC 2008

On 09/23/2008 06:11 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 09/22/2008 03:10 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>>> Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The
>>> service might be not installed on the host computer.
>>>

>> I'd suggest http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
>> seriously... you'll find folks on the mailing list and the forums that
>> can quickly assist.
>
> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
> group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
> community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to make
> it boot that way.

Does this not work for you?
http://virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
[USB on Ubuntu/Gutsy]
or
http://virtualbox.org/wiki/User_HOWTOS
  http://virtualbox.org/wiki/USB_on_Ubuntu_7.04

I also have this in my /etc/fstab:

## usbfs is the USB group in fstab file - use $ grep vbox /etc/group for
devgid
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=111,devmode=664 0 0

Without it I get the "Failed to create a proxy device..." (I just tested
by commenting out the line in fstab).

  See "11.5.7 USB not working" in the VB Manual (page 147).

Also see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/virtualbox/+bug/156085
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virtualbox/+bug/151585
[USB Devices unrecognised by virtualbox (/proc/bus/usb missing)]
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/747
[USB failure with Ubuntu Gutsy]