No Terminal

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Sep 22 00:10:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:54:18 -0400
"Kirk Girard" <girard.kirk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have been using linux for a few years and ubuntu - Gutsy for the last year
> or so.  My problem is that I cannot call up a terminal.  Applications -
> Terminal does not work and key stokes do not work.  I have a dual monitor
> display with an nvidia card.  The reason I am stating this is because one
> day a few weeks ago my screen resolution changed all by itself and I was
> going to call up nvidia-config but no terminal appeared when I went to call
> one up.  I think I can fix my resolution problem if I could get at a
> terminal.

Two things to try:
1) Hit Alt+F2 and type in "gnome-terminal" ( or xterm )

2) If that fails, get a virtual terminal (console, tty) with
Ctrl+Alt+1 ,(or 2,3,4,5,6 - you have 6 to choose from...) log in, and
type

xterm -display :0

then return to X with ALt+F7  . You should see an xterm on your desktop
on return to tty7 (Alt+F7 or Ctrl+Alt+F7, doesn't matter which when
done from a tty).

With luck, one of those should give you a terminal in X

Add in as another option:

3) If you are comfortable in a tty, you can run commands there for
configuration purposes.

Peter
--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net