Nautilus: fails to connect to FTP server without explanation: how to debug ?!

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 23:08:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Vincent Trouilliez
<vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:04:02 +1000
> Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Click the arrows on the right of the "Service Type" at the top. You
>> should see "ssh" as an option. Use that one (default port is 22 as you
>> would expect).
>
> Ah ok, thanks Peter. I thought SSH had nothing to do with ftp (thought
> ftp was to trasfer files to/from a server, and SSH was to get remote
> access to linux box via the command line).

you are correct, but the SSH protocol also includes a file transfer
protocol called sftp. It is not at all related to "old fashioned" ftp.
It IS, however, preferred nowadays because the ftp protocol is
inherently insecure, while SSH is (presumed to be) secure. (Assuming,
of course, you have all the relevant security updates included.)

SO if the server you are trying to connect to has a SSH server
running, using sftp would make you less vulnerable to security issues.