8.04 dual-boot w/ XP: - installation problems

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 21 19:25:06 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 9/21/08, Alec Ross <alec at arlross.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> From: Alec Ross <alec at arlross.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: 8.04 dual-boot w/ XP: - installation problems
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 1:28 PM
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed 8.04 from a DVD.  I wanted to get a
> dual boot with
> an existing XP installation.
>
> During the (default) partitioning, I had an error reporting
> that some
> data could not be written back to disk.
>
> I went back to the previous page, and re-tried.  This time
> no failure
> was reported.
>
> However, on booting, and entering grub, the only OSs listed
> are Ubuntu:
>
>     8.04 Kernel 2.6 ...
>     "                      (recovery ...
>     ", memtest86+
>

> Is this showing that the earlier error has lost my XP
> partition?  What,
> if anything, might I do to attempt recovery?
>
> TIA,
>
> Alec
> --
> Alec Ross

Perhaps you lost XP due to the error. First, try "sudo update-grub", then reboot and when the grub lists show on restart move the cursor down the list and see if you find a listing for XP. If not you are likely to have lost XP on the install due to the error or perhaps by selecting use entire disk on the install.  You can also sign in to you desktop and open a terminal and do "cat /boot/grub/menu.lst and search for the windows XP entry usually at the end of the file.  If you can't find a listing for XP it's likely gone for good and you'll have to reinstall XP.  Good luck.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net