Laptop with external monitor, screen resolution glitches

tchomby tchomby at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 20 10:27:42 UTC 2008

Anyone had this problem before?

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotoy4.png

This is a screenshot taken from a laptop with a built-in 1024*768 screen,
but it's currently using an external monitor which is at 1280*1024. It's
running Ubuntu 8.04.

As you can see, the screen is at resolution 1280*1024 and all is working
fine, except that the top panel is only 1024 pixels wide. No matter what I
do, I can't make it fill the screen. If I drag the top panel down to the
bottom, it stretches to 1280. If I drag the bottom panel up, then as soon as
it enters the top left 1024*768 area of the screen it shrinks to 1024. There
are several other glitches also, for example if I maximise or fullscreen a
window, it goes to 1024*768.

Basically, the system seems to be in two minds about what resolution it's
at.

If I got to Monitor Resolution Settings it's set to 1280*1024 and Clone
Screens is not checked, if I check Clone Screens then I can't choose
anything above 1024*768.