hp laserjet 4250 and CUPS options

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 14:37:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Linda Hanigan <haniganwork at earthlik.net> wrote:
> I've been working at home converting programs that code pcl6 to
> postscript and printing to an hp laserjet 1320. With the 1320 the CUPS
> lpr -o options like sides= works fine. I did a test run at work on our
> laserjet 4250 and although the postscript files print fine it ignores
> any options in the CUPS  lpr command. Has anyone gotten the options to
> work I need to be able to turn duplexing on and off and direct printing
> to the envelope feeder.
> Otherwise with pcl I send everything -o raw. Does it work to send the
> pcl command to indicate duplexing or tray and than start the
> postscript.

Hi Linda

I don't think mixing PCL and PS will work - I'd bet the printer will
figure it's a new job, not a continuation.

What exactly is the lpr command you used that didn't work?  AFAIK,
CUPS itself sends the options that way - it kinda has to work...  I've
used them myself.  Is it possible that you are using LPR not CUPS on
the system that it doesn't work on?  I'm not sure that CUPS and
LPR/those other print systems all implement the same options.

The other possibility is that the printer as configured in cups
doesn't have those options, so the filter doesn't pass them along.
Another guess....

I'd be happy to blat a few print jobs at the printers here if you've
got examples.  I've got no HPs to try on though.

Brian