Ubuntu Wireless question: was Re: Ubuntu Studio question

Michael Falkenburg mandcfalk at verizon.net
Thu Sep 18 00:30:47 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/14/2008 06:17 AM, Michael Falkenburg wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> Perhaps this question should be directed to a Studio-related forum, but
>> when you see the nature of the "dilemma" you'll understand WHY I've sent
>> it here...
>>
>> What I'm experiencing (on a different box) is that with in a matter of
>> minutes the initially strong(70-100%)wireless connection is dropped.
>> Sometimes it'll happen while email is downloading, sometimes it's while
>> file updates are taking place.
>>
>> I'm open to any suggestions as to how to solve this deal. Please ask any
>> questions that you might need for clarification.
>>
>> However, if you ask me about  WHAT such-and-such information might be
>> (like, for the current setup),  please also inform ME about how to go
>> about finding that info that you need.
>> Linux is new for me...can you tell?
>>
>> Thanks-in-advance,
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Have a look through this:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide
> to see if you can find anything obvious. Then post back with information
> that you tried using that guide + wireless device & system info.
>
> I'd also recommend using google for your device using the search term
> prefaced by 'ubuntu' - example: ubuntu +<device>. That generally will
> get you hits for the ubuntu forum, this list, and launchpad the Ubuntu
> bug reporting system. From those you can generally find out if others
> are having similar issues. You can also try a direct search in launchpad by:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
> and enter the wireless device in the search box. That may or may not
> find anything.
>
>   Same for launchpad answers:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu
> Note that in 'answers' if you don't find anything for your device, you
> can file a question there & someone (generally) will work with you to
> try and resolve the issue - similar to the way that this list _usually_
> works.

I have read through and tried most of what I felt was pertinent to the
situation. I will post the results when I load the results onto a device
which I can use to transfer the information from that box to this one.
A couple things I did try on a basic level:
Re-positioned the other box in respect to the router antenna,
Uninstalled Network Manager (this seems to have helped the most)...

However, the signal still did drop, only not as soon as it used to.

I'll post as soon as I can...working 3rd shift cuts into my "putter-time".

Michael