64 bit or 32 bit ubuntu

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Sep 17 16:04:21 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> bill biggs wrote:
>>> I would like to 32 or 64 bit ubuntu I have a dual core 4g or ram dell ?
>>>

>> Uh, what?  If I read this right, (and I'm not sure I do), if you have
>> 4GB or more of RAM, then you should go with the 64-bit.  With less than
>> 4GB RAM you won't really see a performance benefit going with 64-bit.
>>
>> However, I go 64-bit regardless, but that's just me.
>
> What compatibility problems do you run into? I want to run things like
> Virtualbox, and I know there were hiccups people ran into using 64 bit
> with certain applications before...didn't know what problems people are
> currently running into using that.
>
> Seems like the only reason I ran into to run 64 bit were having more
> than 4 gig of RAM or using programs with very very very large datasets
> to manipulate...graphics/video, or databases. *shrug* things change though.

About the only problems I have any more are Browser plugin related
(specifically Flash).  I use 64-bit primarily because of the fact that I
use large data sets (>5TB) and do a lot of database work and some video
editing.

I kinda look at it this way.  The more people use 64-bit OS's, the more
push there will be for vendors to get off their asses and build 64-bit
apps correctly.  (Are you listening Adobe?)

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support