Changing Screen Resolution

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 00:16:58 UTC 2008

Hi Michael

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 02:59:45 Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Monday 15 September 2008 04:50:49 San Goldberger wrote:
> >> Just Installed Ubuntu, very impressed so far. But having trouble
> >> changing my screen resolution to somthing normale.  Just after
> >> installing Ubuntu it was fine untill I downloaded all the updates and
> >> driver for my Nvidia graphics card. Since restart system has been
> >> teribble to work with. Under SYSTEM PREFRENCES, Screen Resolution, it
> >> only gives me an option up to 640x480 Max
> >>
> >> Please any help will be appriciated.
> >
> > You haven't given very much detail here but I suspect you haven't enabled
> > your nVidia's restricted driver. Try going through
> >
> > System -> Administration -> Restricted Drivers Manager
> >
> > and check the driver for your nVida card if it's not already checked. I
> > believe then you'll need to either reboot or log out and back in using
> > CTRL + ALT + BKSP
> >
> > James
>
> I'm sorry Goldberger but some people on this list don't know how to read
> people's posts.  You clearly wrote that you installed the driver and
> rebooted, and after that your resolution was limited to 640x480.  Anyone
> on this list should then immediately understand that this means the
> driver is enabled because this problem has come up several times
> before.  READ PEOPLE'S POSTS!
>
> To correct this problem in Ubuntu you need to shutdown X.org, and then
> you run the reconfigure program.
>
> First you use this to shutdown X.org:
> Press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
> (Please note, this is where I had trouble.  For me this only restarted
> X.org instead of shutting it down, but it might work for you.)
>
> If that doesn't work open a terminal and use this:
> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>
> You should get a text login prompt, login with your username and
> password and at the command prompt use this command:
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> Follow the prompts, keep the selected options until you get to the
> settings for your monitor.  Once you reboot and X.org starts you should
> be able to change your screen resolution.
>
> --
> Michael "TheZorch" Haney
> thezorch at gmail.com
> http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home
> SypeName: thezorch
> AIM: thezorch at gmail.com
> Yahoo IM: zorchhaney
> ICQ: 343230252
> GoogleTalk: thezorch
> MSN Messeger: haneymichael at hotmail.com
> Free You Computer from the Tyranny of Microsoft www.ubuntu.com

Installing the driver and rebooting doesn't automatically activate it though.
In the past I've installed nVidia drivers and rebooted only to see similar to
the original posters problem only to find the driver wasn't actually
activated or enabled. Maybe you can show me where he said it was definitely
activated ;)

James

--
Let him who would move the world first move himself.

Socrates