AGP issue (Ubuntu 8.04, AMD Athlon 3000+, ATI Radeon 9800 pro, nforce3)

Bas Jacobs basfriends at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 19:48:00 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with my Ubuntu installation (8.04, the latest LTS
release). The video drivers do not function properly. When I use the radeon
driver, i can't get DRI. When I use the fglrx (proprietary) driver from ATI,
the only thing I get is a white screen after logging in, with my cursor on
it.

I use the following hardware configuration: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor,
nforce3 chipset, 512 MB memory and an ATI Radeon 9800 pro graphics card.
(More information about my hardware can be found at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=917810, the thread at the forums I
started about this subject. It is attached in "hardware.txt".)

Tracing various logs I've found the following suspected messages:

messages, kern.log, syslog, dmesg:

agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
agpgart: Setting up Nforce3 AGP.
agpgart: aperture base > 4G

And in xorg.0.log (using the radeon driver):

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 7
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0

[...]

//This seems ok
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 7
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0

[...]

(EE) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI.
(II) RADEON(0): [agp] You may want to make sure the agpgart kernel module
is loaded before the radeon kernel module.

[...]

(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer.
(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled

[...]

(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable

Before sending this mail i've done a lot of research. Not only on google,
but also on various fora (also on ubuntuforums and on the unofficial ATI
forum). The info I found there was not appliable on my hardware.

Thanks in advance,

Bas Jacobs