politeness

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 17:30:57 UTC 2008

2008/9/15 Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
> Or more likely, imo, there would be no humans left _other_ than Stephen
> Hawking.  (btw, in the interest of giving credit where due, it is Hawking
> Radiation, or Bekenstein-Hawking radiation).

Thanks for that, I know that many times not all physicists get the
credit that they are do. But calling it Bekenstien-Hawking radiation
reminds me a lot of the term GNU/Linux :) By the way, having taken
only introductory courses and not having a professional interest in
the subject, I was unfamiliar with the tem Bekenstien-Hawkins
radiation.

> I'm not sure that the fact that there would be only two particles makes any
> difference to the time it might take to grow.  By definition, they'd have
> to be extremely massive particles, for there to be even a micro-blackhole,
> and anything coming within its event horizon would be added to the mass. In
> any case, the LHC is supposed to be actually capable of _creating_ matter
> (ie m=e/C**2), so there could be far more than two particles involved.

Therein lies the problem. The event horizon will be _very_ close to
the particles themselves. As you no doubt know, the size of the
particles involved is several orders of magnitude smaller than the
distance between them. That is why the black hole will not interact
very well with other particles. In fact, at the scale involved,
gravity is such a weak force compared to the other three
(electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear), that these black
hole will remain tiny (if they remain at all) for eons.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il