Hardy Herron probs?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 13 18:35:49 UTC 2008

On 09/12/2008 06:02 AM, squareyes wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> What is up with the DVD drives?
>>

> Sorry, forgot to mention both drives will play commercial music cd's
>
> Winton

That's interesting... I had a similar problem on 8.04 on an old eMachine
PC that I installed 8.04 on for a friend. At first I thought it was
Hardy, but as chance would have it, the system also still had a copy of
Win98 on it. So I dual booted into Win98 and found that the DVD
functions on the drive were not working there as well. Playing
commercial music CD's worked in both Ubuntu and Win98, but not DVD. The
DVD's occassionally would mount, but I kept receiving so many errors
that I never could get the DVD to play. Turns out that there are
different lasers; one for cd and one for dvd, and apparently the one for
the dvd had gone bad.

Unfortunately I never tested a DVD in Win98 on the machine before I
installed Ubuntu, so I'll never know if the device was bad to begin
with, or if installing Ubuntu created the problem. The drive on that
system was:
         *-cdrom
                product: DVD-ROM SD-612
                vendor: SAMSUNG
                physical id: 1
                bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/cdrom
                logical name: /dev/dvd
                logical name: /dev/scd0
                logical name: /dev/sr0
                version: ST05
                capabilities: removable audio dvd
                configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
              *-medium
                   physical id: 0
                   logical name: /dev/cdrom

So that got me to thinking (bad sign I know...); here is the output from
a good DVD writer on my other system:
       *-cdrom:0
                product: DVD DC DQ60
                vendor: BENQ
                physical id: 2
                bus info: scsi at 2:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/cdrom
                logical name: /dev/dvd
                logical name: /dev/scd0
                logical name: /dev/sr0
                version: MRCC
                capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
                configuration: ansiversion=5 status=open

Note the missing '*-medium' info on the Benq drive vs the Samsung drive.
I've no access to the other machine now as it's been delivered (I
replaced the drive), or if the '*-medium' means anything. But, could
you, from a terminal, run lshw on the machine and post the '*-cdrom'
sections here? Perhaps by comparison we may be able to figure out
something. To do that:

sudo lshw > lshwsquareyes.txt

That will write the output of lshw to a text file (lshwsquareyes.txt)
that you can open with a text editor to view & copy the cdrom sections.

Also please post the cdrom lines that you have in /etc/fstab.