politeness

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 14:23:06 UTC 2008

2008/9/13 Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Gilles Gravier <gilles at gravier.org> wrote:
>> Hehe... I *LOVE* the webcams! Thanks!
>
> But wouldn't it fall down  to the centre of the earth?  Didn't anyone
> read 'Earth' by David Brin?

The black holes (if created) will be traveling at the average
velocity/mass of the particles that created them. If the two particles
are of equal mass (the same type of particles) and hit head on, then
the velocity of the black hole will be zero and it will in fact fall
to the center of the earth. From there, it will reemerge on the other
side of the Earth, stop at the same height (more or less) that it was
where it formed, and then fall back. It would then oscillate, more or
less.

If the two particles do not 'merge' head on then the black hole will
have initial velocity. It would most likely orbit the center of the
Earth in an ellipse defined by that initial velocity and distance from
the center of the Earth. Note that the first example is also an orbit,
but with an eccentricity approaching unity, but just under.

Note that the original black hole would be composed of only two
particles! It would take quite a while for it to accumulate enough
mass to even be detectable, it will not be interactive very much with
it's surroundings. By 'quite a while' I mean that humans may no longer
populate the Earth by then, and even that is only the case if Hawkins
Radiation does not evaporate it first!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com