8.04 Server on VIA C3 based machine

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 23:35:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Moritz Reiter wrote:
>> My question is: How can I install another kernel when I can't even boot
>> the system?
>
> This is just an idea and totally untested but maybe worth a try:
>
> Boot from a Live CD (use Xubuntu if you have only little RAM) and mount
> the disk. Then copy the kernel files from /boot of the Live CD to /boot
> of your hard disk. Modify /boot/grub/menu.lst according to the kernel
> name you have just copied. Unmount the hard disk and reboot.

I'm not sure if that will work or not.  I haven't tested this either,
but I think you can grab the kernel and kernel-modules debs, put them
on a USB stick or CD, boot from the live CD, mount the existing
system, copy the debs to somewhere in the existing system, chroot to
the existing system, then dpkg -i kernel and kernel modules, exit
chroot, reboot.

I went through something like this a long time ago with feisty - I
can't find my notes, but I think the process was pretty similar to the
above...

Chris