[OT] Understanding Linux backup limitations

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Sep 12 22:40:14 UTC 2008

Young wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> Brian McKee wrote:

>>> I agree with Bart that the only issue is the darned file might change
>>> while you're backing it up.
>>> That's not a Linux thing, it's a computer thing.
>>>
>>> LVM can do 'snapshots' that helps overcome this.  I think Windows
>>> shadow copy is similar.  ZFS has something too.
>>>
>> For the OP, is there a specific situation you're investigating backing
>> up for? Anything in particular you're looking for advice on? Or was it
>> just curiosity?
>>

> Mostly curiosity, but I'd like to see a solution. It's a shame for Linux
> that a Windows backup program can create an image backup of a booted
> system, but Linux can't.
>
> My concerns are really for the SOHO users. Larger companies have
> multiple systems, and probably a sys admin.
>
> Creating an image backup of a Linux install is a pain. And because of
> that it doesn't get done as often as it should. Or people backup only
> their home directory. I know, for myself, that it's stopped me from
> trying out certain things because the risk/reward/pain/time ratios just
> weren't good enough. It's slowing down the learning process for me, and
> I'll never really move to Linux unless this gets fixed, because I know
> I'll end up skipping a backup.
>
> And, while image backups aren't the only type of backup needed, the rest
> of the backup programs available aren't very friendly either.
>
> I think SOHO users need a GUI backup program that can create an image
> backup, and then be set to auto create incremental or differential
> backups on top that. I'd pay for that.
>
> Mark

    If you want to back up your Linux use rsync and you can do it while
the Linux is running. You need to write a simple bash file to use rsync
and mine looks like this:

karl at karl-hardy:~$ cat /root/bin/rsync-media
# This goes to the USB hard drive
rsync -vaH --exclude '/proc' --exclude 'sys'  --exclude '/mnt' --exclude
'/media' /. /media/disk

I back up about once a month. This is a long home computer.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User