Question about firestarter

Christian christian08 at runbox.com
Fri Sep 12 15:43:35 UTC 2008

Hi Dustin,

On 2008-09-12 at 08:45 Dustin Breese wrote:

>Hi, Christian,
>
>I just looked at something similar this morning for another post.
>
>I assume you meant POLICY tab, not PRIVACY tab.
>
>If so, then to enable the ADD RULE button, you must first select one
>of the tables on the tab.  There are two tables which are selectable
>(the third appears to be grayed out).
>
>The first table is "Allow connections from host" which allows you to
>specify an IP address so that all traffic is allowed.  To select this
>table when the "Policy Tab" widget is active, you can just hit TAB
>TAB.  Then the ADD RULE button becomes active so you can add a rule
>for that table.
>
>The next table is "Allow Service" which allows you to enable a
>specific PORT, optionally restricting it to a host, subnet, etc.  To
>select this table when the "Policy Tab" widget is active, you must hit
>TAB three times.  Then the ADD RULE button becomes active.
>
>I hope this helps you?
>
>Regards,
>Dustin
>
>On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Christian <christian08 at runbox.com> wrote:
>> HI all,
>> I need some help with the Firestarter interface. Running Ubuntu Hardy.
>> I have been using the command based firewall, ufw, but I decided to give
>Firestarter a try as well. ufw has been working fine for my needs, but
>decided to give this a try.
>> I am visually impaired so I am using the Orca screen reader for Gnome.
>> My problem is adding a rule. I am able to use the tab key to move
>through the interface and set some of its settings. When I change to the
>privacy tab I am not able to do anything. I have used Orcas reading
>commands and found the button to add a rule but nothing happens when i
>click on that. I am placed in a table wich is empty.
>> Can someone please tell me if I need to select something before I can
>add a rule? I selected to change rules for inbound traffic from the combo
>box.
>> Can someone please try to add a rule just by using their keyboard?
>> Well, I can learn how to enter rules manually into IPTables, but havent
>done it yet.
>> Many thanks for any help,
>> Christian
>>

>> --
Many thanks for your reply.
Oops, yes I meant the policy tab, so many programs now! smile.
I've tried this but it doesn't work for me. Currently I don't have any rules. I am not able to get to the add rule button by just pressing tab. I also tried using Orca to click on that button, but the button is disabled.
Best regards and thanks,
Christian