Problems installing 8.04.1 alternate amd64 on HP xw6400

nmoore nmoore at co.pierce.wa.us
Fri Sep 12 14:04:17 UTC 2008

I have an HP xw6400 with a TSST TS-H492C CD-RW/DVD-ROM and a Maxtor
ATLAS10K5_146SAS hard disk.  When I boot off the Ubuntu 8.04.1 alternate
amd64 cd neither device is recognized.  There is a message about "SRST
failed" before the installer interface starts and I'm stuck at the
installation step where the it is looking for the CD-ROM.  I've dropped into
a terminal session to check the output of dmesg and as far as I can tell it
does not see my optical drive or my hard drive.  Loading the ahci module
does not help to see the CD-ROM. and I don't believe I'll be able to
partition my hard disk as the mptsas module isn't provided (maybe it's
built-in or loaded after the CD-ROM is found?).  I've tried a few suggested
boot options such as irqpoll and pci=nomsi as well as changing the settings
for the SATA interface in the BIOS (eg AHCI+RAID).

I know this system works fine (from a hardware standpoint) as has been
running WindowsXP Professional.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Nate