phantom files

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Sep 11 18:53:41 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

>     If your over 50 years old, 100% of you are old Windows and/or DOS
> users. That was what was there before Linux. I enjoyed my old 1984 100%
> Microsoft capable clone for many years with DOS on it. I recall in
> College about 5% of the students bought DOS and the other 95% borrowed
> from them. DOS was the original free operating system :-)
>
>     Since then they have spent big bucks making it hard to copy the
> latest Windows.
>
> Karl

You are NOT serious.  Are you kidding me?  UNIX was developed in the
1960's.  I'm not over 50 and I started out on a Xenix server at Virginia
Tech in 1990.  My mother didn't start on Windows, she started on Ubuntu.
    and DOS was not the original free operating system.  You really,
SERIOUSLY, can't be that silly to post something like this without
checking your facts.  Until DOS became irrelevant it was never free.
(DR-DOS was back in the caldera days.)

Do you not realize Microsoft has been trying FOR YEARS to make Windows
more like Unix/Linux?  The new 'power shell', multi-user kernels, etc.
Unix is only 'copying Windows' in the GUI arena, and they really are
more copying Apple than MS.

Please, I ask you nicely, before you send stuff like this, use google.
It's a great search engine that can help you get your facts straight.  I
use it quite often.  It can be found at http://www.google.com

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support