Hardy Herron probs?

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Thu Sep 11 12:37:34 UTC 2008

0path wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry it took so log, would you mind checking the file
>
> /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> If there's something like all_generic_ide on the line which starts with
> kernel.... that could be the reason.
>
> This param was sometimes needed on 7.04 to get SATA DVD working.
>
> If 'all_gener...' is there remove that little bit and save , reboot the
> system.
>
> Then try again with the DVD's
>
> commands :
>
> cat /boot/grub/menu.lst (just let it scroll over the screen, it's in the
> last part of the file)
>
> To change it (but please be careful !) sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst or
> sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst or sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst.
>
> With what software did you make the backups, because your system looks
> fine (lshw showed no trouble spots) ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michel
>
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 01:55 +0930, squareyes wrote:
>
>> 0path wrote:

Hi,
used k3b to write DVD's, have never had any problems with it.
Both drives are only 3 months old LG,
All on kernel line

kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
root=UUID=630858ba-2802-4abe-93c6-789b364ac06f ro quiet splash

Have removed nvidia glx new, tried nvidia glx  nvidia , nvidia new envy,
removed all with complete removal (Synaptic)  between next trial, but
now cannot get better than 800x600 using nvidia-glx-new the one
originally used(the other 2 gave the same
result  800x600 max) Originally I managed 1280x1024.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg  doesn't give any option for video
set up as in 7.04 Only has keyboard options.
Looked at lshw but don't know what to look for.

Thanks for the help, will maybe try re-installing 8.04 and see if that
helps.
Take Care
Winton