8.04 still locks up

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 9 19:36:41 UTC 2008

Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 03:08:15PM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

>>> Odd, but, eh, whatever...
>> karl at karl-hardy:/etc$ more issue
>> Ubuntu 8.04.1 \n \l
>>

>     Dave, Karl, why are you two going on about this when Nils explained it in
> the quote both of you did not trim?  the \n \l are replaced with the
> appripriate information when you to to a local TTY on the machine.  You can do
> that by the key sequence he listed.  I did it on mine and it is exactly as he
> said.  It lists "Ubuntu 8.04.1 igbuntu TTY2" as the string.  IE, it was meant
> to be seen after getty replaces those characters, not to be displayed
> directly from the shell.
    Steve, woa, easy killer... First off, I am not "going on" about this
with Karl. This is my first posting in this thread. Second, I was merely
pointing out the fact that there is a second file in that same directory
with a similar name, and slightly different contents. I know and
understand the fact the the \n & \l are variables that get replaced.
Just adding a point of data for the discussion. (Which you clipped out
of your reply...)

    And Karl only (this time) confirmed that the other file exists on
his machine also.

Here is what I wrote, and Karl replied with:

> cat /etc/issue.net for me returns
>
> Ubuntu 8.04.1
>
> whereas the cat /etc/issue returns
>
> Ubuntu 8.04.1 \n \l
>
> Odd, but, eh, whatever...

    Same here. I did it the old way and get:

karl at karl-hardy:~$ cat /etc/issue.net
Ubuntu 8.04.1

karl at karl-hardy:~$ cd /etc
karl at karl-hardy:/etc$ more issue
Ubuntu 8.04.1 \n \l