Best way to share Thunderbird Profiles across multiple machines.

Albert Charron albert at albertcharron.name
Mon Sep 8 21:57:39 UTC 2008

Young wrote:
> cyanics at xmission.com wrote:
>
>> what portion of the profile are you interested in sharing? plugin's? or
>> basically having access to one download archive for emails, across lots
>> of computers?
>>

> Plugins, No. I don't use any now, and don't think the trouble of
> multiple installations would be that big a headache for me.
>
> Having one archive for emails, across multiple (3 for now) computers? Yes.
>
> Being able to check/download POP3 mail from any of the machines and have
> it go into one archive? Yes!
>
> Having more than one machine in use with Thunderbird open and active.
> Yes! Just not in the same email message. I'm thinking this should be
> something like record locking on a database.
>
> If Thunderbird can't do this, is there another email client that can?

I would definitely recommend using a mail server for this... On one of
your Ubuntu machine, setup courrier-imap or dovecot and fetchmail...

That's the way I'm doing it for years now and I haven't got any problems...

Basically, fetchmail will get the e-mails from your ISP (pop3) and your
thunderbirds will connect to your imap server

  Albert Charron
  Linux Counter member #157482
  Registered computers: 387105, 387106