Opening file too slow

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 6 20:31:49 UTC 2008

On 09/06/2008 10:45 AM, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the last few days, I am experiencing  a strange problem on my machine (
> Ubuntu 64 bit).  Every program, even opening a text file takes more than
> 3-4 minutes. I also checked the CPU usage using
> top command and barely it touches 2-3%. Very
> frequently I get the following message also:
>
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 7190, errno = 4
>
> What could go wrong ? Can someone help ?
>
> csv

Next time you get the ICE error, immediately open a terminal (or just
leave a terminal running when you first open your session) and enter:

ps aux

Scroll through the PID's and find out what process the error is pointing
to. In the above it gave 7190, it will be different next time it
happens, so you'd look through the 'ps aux' output for the PID from the
error msg and that will tell you what process/app gave the error.

Once you know the process, then you can start to troubleshoot the error.

My _guess_ is that you will find a network process trying to resolve a
host or hostname. Can you provide the output of:

cat /etc/hosts
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/resolv.conf
hostname -f