Opening file too slow

Chaman Singh Verma csv610 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 15:17:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 2:01 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 09/06/2008 10:45 AM, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In the last few days, I am experiencing  a strange problem on my machine
> (
> > Ubuntu 64 bit).  Every program, even opening a text file takes more than
> > 3-4 minutes. I also checked the CPU usage using
> > top command and barely it touches 2-3%. Very
> > frequently I get the following message also:
> >
> > ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 7190, errno = 4
> >
> > What could go wrong ? Can someone help ?
> >
> > csv
> >

> Next time you get the ICE error, immediately open a terminal (or just
> leave a terminal running when you first open your session) and enter:
>
> ps aux
>
> Scroll through the PID's and find out what process the error is pointing
> to. In the above it gave 7190, it will be different next time it
> happens, so you'd look through the 'ps aux' output for the PID from the
> error msg and that will tell you what process/app gave the error.
>
> Once you know the process, then you can start to troubleshoot the error.
>
> My _guess_ is that you will find a network process trying to resolve a
> host or hostname. Can you provide the output of:
>
> cat /etc/hosts
> cat /etc/network/interfaces
> cat /etc/resolv.conf
> hostname -f

Hello,

I am attaching the requested info. I could see that hostname -f
doesn't work, but uname -a give the correct information.

csv

csv610 at blackhole:/etc$ cd
csv610 at blackhole:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost

csv610 at blackhole:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface ppp0 inet ppp
provider ppp0

auto ppp0

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
provider dsl-provider

csv610 at blackhole:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 218.248.255.146
nameserver 218.248.255.139
### BEGIN INFO
#