reinstalling HP LaserJet 4050

Carlos Alberto Alves drcaa at predialnet.com.br
Sat Sep 6 17:42:21 UTC 2008

Wade Smart wrote:
> Carlos Alberto Alves wrote:
>> Wade Smart wrote:

>>> 20080903 1620 GMT-6
>>>
>>> I went though CUPS again to set up the printer. I thought maybe I had
>>> missed something but, I didnt see anything obvious to change.
>>>
>>> usb://HP/LaserJet%204050%20Series
>>>
>>> Is the Device URI and using 4050 Series Postscript.
>>>
>>> Wade
>>>
>> Have you taken a look at hplip?
>>
>> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_4050_series.html
>
> 20080903 1716 GMT-6
> I did. As soon as you start the app it says:
> No Installed HP Devices Found
>
> So I run the hp-setup page and choose USB which it responds:
> "No devices found.
> Please make sure your printer is on and properly connected."
> which it is.
>
> Then it states you can do this (find the printer) manually.
> And it asks for the USB ID. So I run lsusb but that only shows me my
> keyboard and mouse. So its not seeing the printer to set up.
> But, isnt that the point of the driver? To communicate with the printer
> to set it up?
>
> Wade

I had a similar problem some time ago with a brand new HP 1020 and...
The also "brand new" usb cable was the only culprit. :|
Do you have another one to test???
* Carlos Alberto Alves                       *
* mailto:drcaa at click21.com.br                *
* mailto:drcaa at predialnet.com.br             *