Foolproof fix for screen resolution?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 6 16:06:25 UTC 2008

--- Burgoo King <burgoo.king at gmail.com> wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>
> > Nothing is foolproof; I'd recommend right-clicking
> Applications then
> > select "Edit Menus", and under "Other" check the
> box for "Screens and
> > Graphics".
>
> This is a promising approach but it has not worked.
> I keep ending up
> with an 800x600 screen regardless of what selections
> I make, even when I
> was able to select the desired 1280x768.  A couple
> of combinations of
> screen resolution, etc. resulted in a huge desktop,
> much bigger than the
> screen, but mostly it goes to 800x600.
>
> After about 40 tries, I've rebooted to recovery mode
> and got back to
> 1680x1050, which has the right screen proportions
> but is hard for me to
> read.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion...any other ideas for
> how to get 1280x768?

Hey Burgoo King,
Certainly 1680x1050 res is better than 1280x768 res as
far as quality goes. If you have problems reading the
smaller print, why not just increase the font size to
a more readable size as I do(because of old eyes).  I
always use the highest resolution the monitor is
capable of and just hit <CTRL>-<PLUS>-<PLUS>
repeatedly until a font size comes up that I can read
reasonably well. It's easy and quick to to do.
You can also change font size permanently on firefox
browser(and others) under edit->preferences->content.
HTH, and at the same time lets you enjoy better
quality at the higher resolution.