Atheros wireless card not seen in Network Manager

Arthur H. Johnson II arthur.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 02:11:18 UTC 2008

Amy,

I have the same wireless network device in my Acer Aspire Gemstone.
Lucky for you its a very popular laptop because WalMart sold thousands of
them for 350 bucks at a door buster back in early December of '07.
Dozens of us hacked away at it collectivly all the following weekend, and
got everything working perfectly on the laptops.  It was a thing of
beauty.

Either way, enough with reveling in my own wonderful community experience.
What you have to do is blacklist the ath_pci driver, it doesn't work with
even the latest madwifi.  I tried with Hardy, and it still doesn't work.
What you have to do is get the XP drivers for the Atheros AR5007EG and
install them with ndiswrapper.

Specifically, I had to add:

blacklist ath_pci

To the end of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.  After that I rebooted and
installed the XP driver with ndiswrapper.  If you search
http://ubuntuforums.org for Acer Aspire Gemstone or Acer Aspire 5315
you'll see how we all fixed this.

Good luck!