printing with Ubuntu in Windows network

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 5 18:55:44 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:

> You might want to try ipp instead:
>
> Device URI: ipp://192.168.1.101:631/HPOffice
>
> I've had problems with smb in the past and now use ipp on all of my
> systems instead. Also check in /var/log/samba and see if you can spot
> something in the samba logs as to why the print is not getting through.
>
> It's been awhile since I printed from Ubuntu to a Win machine, but I'll
> reboot and see if I have any issues printing from Hardy to a WinXPPro
> w/Canon MP750 attached.

Well, that didn't work; ipp works just fine between Ubuntu computers,
but from Ubuntu to WinXP I had to use smb. At first I couldn't get it to
  connect to the printer either, however after I turned on
authentication and gave it a proper uid and password for a user that is
listed on the Windows machine it verified, setup, and printed just fine.
(I'm using the WinXP machine now to post this). I used
smb://<winmachinename>/<winprintername> so smb discovery is working.

Anyway, seems to work find here & I've now got the test config/printer
setup & can compare settings/logs if you need them.