SU password

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 16:51:35 UTC 2008

2008/9/4 W. D. Allen <ballensr at roadrunner.com>

> I'm new to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition. I can use my root password
> in Ubuntu desktop system administration, etc., however when I go to
> terminal and enter su my password fails.
>
> Been trying to use 'recovery mode' to fix problem but can not locate it
> on CD.
>
> Any guidance would be gratefully accepted.

You are not supposed to use su in Ubuntu. The "proper" way to go is sudo.
With sudo you have all rights for one command only, like:
sudo copy myfile.virus /boot/
You will then be asked for your password and then the command (cp in this
case) is performed.
If you want to do something else as root within a few minutes, you don't
need to enter your password again, just:
sudo another_command other_parameters
(No password is required this time)
If you wait for some minutes, I think it's 15, and then try sudo, sudo will
ask for your password again.
sudo command1 -options file1 file2 # You will be asked for your password.
The command will be executed as root.
command2 -options file3 file4 # This command will be executed as user (if
that's your user name).
sudo command3 -options file5 # This command will be executed as root, but no
password is required.
# Now wait for 20 minutes
sudo command4 -options file6 file7 # This command will be performed as root
and your password is required again.
If you want to use su anyway, try:
sudo su
I hope this helps.