Having some real issues

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Fri Sep 5 05:33:07 UTC 2008

Pat Brown wrote:
> I had to reinstall my Ubuntu laptop and since then I'm having nothing
> but problems. My wireless NIC doesn't exist as far as Ubuntu is
> concerned and I can't get Thunderbird installed. I downloaded the app
> and extracted it through the package manager, but it's not showing up in
> my applications and I can't get it to run. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS,
> an actual copy from Ubuntu, not a burned download.
>
> I have run Update Manager but no updates are available, which I find
> hard to believe

What wireless card?

What happened to make you need to reinstall?

Are you sure your not experiencing data corruption from a bad HD or
faulty stick of RAM?

How are you connecting to the internet without your wireless?

Need a bit more info here. Any error messages during install (either the
OS or Thunderbird).

Dave