reinstalling HP LaserJet 4050

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 18:07:42 UTC 2008

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Wade Smart schrieb:
>> Wade Smart wrote:
>>> 20080904 1122 GMT-6
>>>
>>> Im lookin in /var/log/messages and Im seeing this:
>>> Sep  4 10:48:05 wadesmart kernel: [58405.681786] audit(1220543285.193:4):
>>> type=1503
>>> operation="inode_permission"
>>> requested_mask="::rw"
>>> denied_mask="::rw"
>>> name="/dev/tty"
>>> pid=24146
>>> profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd"
>>> namespace="default"
>>>
>>> and:
>>> Sep  4 10:41:14 wadesmart kernel: [57995.407147] usblp0: USB
>>> Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x4348 pid 0x5584
>>>
>>> Does this provide any help?
>>>
>>> Wade
>> I installed Device Manger and under
>> USB UHCI Controller
>>   USB Device
>>      Insufficient power to operate USB device.
>>      Model: unknown model (id=0x5584)
>>      Vendor: unknown vender (id=0x4348)
>>      Connected at: 12.00 Mbit/s
>>      Remote Wakeup: No
>>
>>    Printer Interface
>>     ?  HP LaserJet 4050
>>
>> Before when I would print, if it was in standby it would wake and print.
>>
> you can reinit the printer in localhost:631 under Printers ;-), at least
> this is what I believe.
>
> Insufficient Power:
> Does this mean, you are using a passive hub or the like for the
> printer connection?
> How long is your usb to parrallel cable?
> Over here in Germany, "generic LPT Interfaces"-PCI cards are pretty
> chaep. Maybe this is preferable to your usb to lpt adaptor?
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

20080904 1249 GMT-6
Im not sure about the power thing. The printer gets zero power from the
computer as far as I know. It might just be saying that but, I noted it
anyway.
My cable is 3ft.
Yea, I could purchase a card (if you can find one :)  ) but this worked
on usb and should work so, I want it to.

On the cups admin panel I click Modify Printer.
Go past the name and description
Under device it says "AppSocket/HP JetDirect".
That isnt correct so I change it to:
HP LaserJet 4050 Series.
Then I find the make and model of the printer and Im done.

Now when I click print the little printer icon comes on correctly at the
top right of the screen but I get this message: Device busy: will retry
in 30 seconds."

This is what is shown on the cups screen:

Location: WadesDesk
Printer Driver: HP LaserJet 4050 Foomatic/hpijs, hpijs 2.8.2.10 - HPLIP
2.8.2
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI:
hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4348_5584_noserial_if0_printer_noserial

Wade