maildirs (was rolling Firefox back to 2.x

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Sep 4 16:02:36 UTC 2008

Wade Smart wrote:

> 20080904 0934 GMT-6
>
> What about size? When I got past a few gigs of email thunderbird
> crashed. I moved to maildir and its been fine since.
>
> For the average user though- mbox is easy as its already setup for you
> by the mail client.
>
> Wade

Err, what now?

Older versions of Thunderbird would choke when Thunderbirds mail folder
went past the 2GB limit.  Back then, I got around this by installing
Dovecot and using T-Bird as an IMAP client.  But this has nothing to do
with mail storage methods.  Dovecot can work equally well with maildir
or mbox mail formats.