Linux printing on a windows network, where to start

Chris Jeffries chris at candm.org.uk
Thu Sep 4 06:08:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 03:36 +0100, ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
> Re: Linux printing on a windows network, where to start

ISTR a while back a suggestion of generating postscript at the Linux end
of the network and catching that and formatting for the printer at the
Windows end. It addessed a different problem I think, but may
nevertheless sort your problem.

I cannot remember the exact details, but I think a search in the archive
of this list for Ubuntu Ghostscript and Windows might find it. (Probably
the Ubuntu is superfluous.) Maybe someone here with more experience can
give detail.

I hazard a guess this would trigger the windows driver for the printer
into processing the file like this:

        App prog | ghostscript | network transport | print prog with
        postscript input and windows (is it?) CGM output | printer
        driver | printer | paper with printing on it :-)

--
Chris
------

(oops, not supposed to be here any more)